Jeanette Chabalala, News24
Johannesburg – President Jacob Zuma has called on South Africans to unite against the recent attacks and killing of women and children.
“We are outraged and seriously concerned about the reports of the abuse and killing of women and children in some parts of the country,” Zuma said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Krejcir trial: Guards confiscate journalist’s pen
- Farmers unite on property rights
- China Just Opened A Communist Party Theme Park
- The Complicated History of the South African Gandhi
He said it was a concern that the attacks occurred at the hands of family members or intimate partners.
Last Friday, a 27-year-old man appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court after his ex-girlfriend, Karabo Mokoena’s burnt body was found in a veld in Lyndhurst, Johannesburg on April 29.
She was reported missing the day before.
Sandile Kagiso Mantsoe was charged with killing the 22-year-old part-time student and defeating the ends of justice.
The case was postponed to May 24 for a formal bail application.
“Victims should not turn a blind eye to violence in their intimate relationships, at home, work or at school but should immediately report perpetrators [and] incidents to authorities before such abuse intensifies and leads to murder,” Zuma said.
Zuma said violence against women had been declared a priority crime by government. Zuma had also urged the public to join government in eradicating the crime of human trafficking.
He said human trafficking was modern day slavery and a gross violation of human rights.
Victims can contact the Gender Based Violence Command Centre hotline on 0800 428 428.